Thursday 5 October 2006: 30/90 SPRINTS

The sprint workout you love to hate...

30/90 SPRINTS

Run these progressively (e.g. Sprint 1 @ 75%, Sprint 2 @ 85%, Sprint 3 @ 95%, Sprints 4-5 @ 100%) or all-out, but remember that 100% intensity in a 30 second sprint is not the same as 100% intensity in a 6 second sprint.

Advanced:
  • Run 5 minutes
  • Repeat five times:
    Sprint 30 seconds
    Recover 90 seconds
  • Run 5 minutes

Intermediate:

  • Run-walk 5 minutes
  • Repeat five times:
    Sprint 30 seconds
    Recover 90 seconds
  • Run-walk 5 minutes

Basic:

  • Powerwalk 5 minutes
  • Repeat five times:
    Sprint 15 seconds
    Recover 105 seconds
  • Powerwalk 5 minutes

Post results to Comments.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did the basic workout as written. The first time in a long time i've done any kind of jogging outside. I've noticed the pain in my knees isn't as bad as it was when the week started. Maybe I didn't ibuprofen as much I just needed exercise!

Ed

Anonymous said...

I ended up doing the intermediate version. 30 seconds certainly can last forever, can't it?

Jim M

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately it was again too late for my beloved sprints - I´m taking today (Friday) off and I´ll be sprinting on Sunday morning. Last night I did:
30/30 Intervals
DB swings 12 12 12 12 12
Squat thrusts 15 15 15 15 15
DB swings 12 12 12 12 12
Squat thrusts 15 15 15 15 15

Anonymous said...

Legs are still sore from the 30/30, had to pass on this one. I’m disappointed, I wanted to try.
Well, I should get 5 out of 6 this week. Soon I’ll toughen up and nail them all :)

John 10e

JME said...

Ed: Glad to hear the knees are improving. I used to have daily knee pain that could be quite severe, but the knee pain disappeared after I started running on a regular basis.

Jim: Those 30 sec. sprints are torturous, but they build endurance (both aerobic and anaerobic) and stimulate the production and release of HGH. Something to think about when you think you're about to die. ;)

Mark: I really like your 30/30 Swings+Squat Thrusts. Nice work.

John: 5 out of 6 is great. Nobody nails six perfect workouts every single week. Life (and soreness) sometimes interfere. Remember that powerwalking hill repeats are also a nice substitute.

Joel